I am sharing how I achieved the sunburst mirror look on a budget. I recently completed the One Room Challenge and got several questions on the mirror. If you are new to the blog, you can check out the reveal for my daughter’s bedroom here.
When we started brainstorming ideas for her room, we knew we wanted a sunburst mirror but didn’t want to break the bank. The average price for the size we were looking for runs about $300.
Once we finalized the budget, it was very clear that those dollars could be used else where. It became a DIY project :). I scoured Pinterest and the internet for pictures and projects and really like this one by The Roe Farm.
Next it was on to materials:
I started by glueing the wood shims together. I did each section in a pattern and worked my way out and using the longer shims in the middle and the shorter ones on the end as shown below.
I made 30 sections of the pattern. Once it was done, it was time to glue it to the craft ring. I laid out each section so that it was even in the middle before glueing them to the ring. See progress shots below.Here is the progress shot once it was all glued together.
It was time for paint. I set up my spray tent in the yard. This thing is a life saver.
I sprayed the front and sides and had enough paint in the can left over for the wood bead necklace.
Once it was dried. I attached the mirror with bonding glue and put weights on it to make sure it attached and dried evenly.
The next day I added picture hanging hardware to the back on the craft ring.
I made my bead necklace with some white twine I had on hand and used two coats of spray paint. After it was dried, I used bonding glue to attach on the rim of the mirror to give it a finished look.
I just realized I don’t have any pictures of the process but here is what it looked like after I was done.
Excuse the messy counter top and table. I was in survival mode trying to finish up for the ORC deadline ;).
I mentioned in my reveal post that I wasn’t sure that it would fit in with the room once I was done but much to my surprise, it was perfect.
Here it is on her wall.
The total project cost was approx $50 and about 5 hours and achieved the desired effect. Thank you for stopping by.30