Hey Friends! Reveal Day is finally here! What an incredible eight weeks with so many challenges, victories, and everything in between. I would like to express my gratitude to Linda & The One room Challenge Team and also Media Partner Better Homes and Gardens for putting on such an amazing event. This challenge has helped me grow and discover new skills and techniques to continue to make my home beautiful.
If you have been following along, I decided to give my dining room a face lift. You can catch all prior weekly updates below.
Dining Room Project:
The dining room has been on my upgrade list for a while. When the One Room Challenge Spring 2020 came around, I decided it was time to tackle it. There is nothing like a good contest to help push you along in achieving your goals.
I shared my mood board in week 1. My plan was to add beams and wainscoting. Just enough to add pizzazz to the space without doing too much. I discussed plans with my hubby. He was on board with my ideas. However, I was in doubt that I could pull this off.
Here is what the space looked like before I started. Good bones but needed some love 😊. Just a quick note, I will be doing DIY tutorial posts to carry you through my process on each project.
My first project was to install the beams and then move on to trim. You can find all my chronicles in prior weekly updates. You can also watch my Instagram Highlights for extra details.
Once the beams were up, I was pleased. My daughter and hubby were very instrumental in helping me with this project. Even staying up late so I could stay on target.
Wainscoting & Trim:
This was the next major project to tackle. Wallpaper was not a firm decision in the initial plans but decided it will add some good texture to the space. This furthered my debacle of dealing with textured walls. I was planning to go the hardboard panel route, but the addition of wallpaper made this almost impossible. I decided to skim coat. This was a messy project, but the result is worth every speck of dust 😊.
I ordered several samples of wall paper but ended up using this one. I wanted something quick and easy and wasn’t up for messing with adhesive after the skim coat experience.
I love the way this project turned out. Below are the walls before and after skim coat. It definitely made a huge difference.
Once the wallpaper was added, it was time to finish up the box trim and paint.
In my last post, I talked about wanting to add trim around the window. I decided to table for now. The plan is to add trim around all the windows in our home. As such, making a hasty decision will most likely add additional work on the back end.
If you have followed me for a while, you would know that I despise painting. I have completed a few projects lately and have discovered that I am not as iffy about it as in time past.
It took me 2 coats for the wall and trim and I did touch ups to the side walls to maintain the original color.
I also had to fix the ceiling molding. I initially cut spots for 6 beams but decided to go with 4. Thankfully, I decided in enough time save additional energy and labor.
For accessories, my goal was to use minimal pieces and not overwhelm the space. I incorporated light neutral colors to compliment the black table. We have had our dining room furniture for almost 14 years and would love to get more use out of it.
To keep the budget in line, I located pieces around the house and purchased some cheaply made pots to upcycle. I discovered the Aged Stone Tutorial a couple of weeks back and decided to create pieces that would fit the space. The tree pot and the bowl are terracotta pieces that were given new life. Tutorial to come on this as well.
The light fixture was purchased several months ago in anticipating of this project. It was one of the first things to go up. I needed to make sure that it was what I wanted in the space. My style is very transitional. This light fixture is more rustic farmhouse. However, I knew with the right elements I could pull off a classic timeless look.
I love this Olive Tree, it is the perfect height for my tall ceilings but not overpowering.
The drapes used to hang in this space. There is beam up against the well where it used to sit. I ended up having to make them 5 inches shorter.
The picture frames are budget friendly pieces that I found at my local craft store.
Just a reminder of what it looked like before.
After! I absolutely love how it turned it. Exactly what I envisioned and more.
Here are some more after pictures.
I cannot close out without expressing gratitude to my family for putting up with this project for 7 long weeks. My husband has always supported by projects, goals and dreams and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner. A special shout out to my oldest daughter for hanging beams and willingly sacrificing her phone time with friends to get perfect shots for me.
Also don’t forget to check out the One Room Challenge blog to get inspiration from Feature Designers and Guest Participants.
Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my reveal. I hope you love it as much as I do.4