It’s week 3 of the One Room Challenge Spring 2021 and boy has it been a challenge. We have had a ton of rain which has limited the projects that I planned this week. However, we are pressing on. If you would like to catch up, you can find my week 1 and week 2 posts below.
For this week, I worked on the accent wall in the room. I narrowed it down to choices like below.
Source: Welsh Design Studio
Source: Studio McGee
When I planned this room a year ago, the grid wall was the design I chose. However, I have been really drawn to the aesthetic appeal of the choice 2 and decided that would be the winner. If you have followed me for a while, you know that my style is transitional and there was something about the choice 2 that has that classic timeless feel to it.
Once the decision was made, I headed to my local home improvement store over the weekend and purchased my supplies.
We live in Texas and one of the drawbacks of newly built homes is that we have the ugly orange peel which creates an uneven texture for most wall treatments. As such the first step was to cover the wall with hard board. There is also the option of skim coating. I used the skim coat technique in my dining room last year. Mainly because I used a wallpaper treatment. However, the boards are less messy and I was thrilled to go this route. I will have a detailed post in the future about my process.
Once the boards went up, it was time to add trim and the moulding. This process has taken a few days to complete as we currently live in the room, so I must cut off working at a certain time to move furniture back for bedtime.
I will be working on filling holes sanding and painting over the next few days.
Plans for Next Week
My supplies for the beams have been purchased, hoping to start next week. With the nonstop rain it has been hard to start this process, as it requires staining 10 ft. boards and allowing them to dry. My hubby and I have been going back and forth about the direction of the beams, so I will hopefully have an update for you next week about our final decision.
Dresser and Nightstands:
I finally settled on making over an IKEA Tarva for the dresser and Rast for the nightstands. I wanted to go a different route for the nightstands but as you know everything is delayed at the moment and need to keep the projects going. I will be using cane webbing. The originally pattern I chose also had about a 6 week delay everywhere, so will be going with option 2. More on this next week.
My accent chairs have arrived and are currently sitting in the attic, can’t wait to assemble them once all the other work is done. I will plan to start working on the table this week. I have my supplies in and excited to start this process.
I love working on the challenge because it gives me that extra push to tackle a space of my own and also get inspiration from others. You can read more about the One Room Challenge here and Better Homes and Gardens the official sponsor.
Things are finally coming in focus and excited to see the progress I make over the next week. Until you can find me here filling holes and caulking.
You can catch up on all feature designer projects below.
Thank you so much for stopping by!